- GenLt. Rüdiger von Heyking. 1.5.44 - 3.9.44
- Obstlt Harry Herrmann, 3.9.44 - 1.10.44
- GenLt. Hermann Plocher, 1.10.44 - 8.5.45
Heyking became POW on 4.9.44. According to some US sources, Oberst Rudolf Langhäuser (Heer), was acting commander from time to time.
- Maj Frhr. von Quadt-Wykradt-Höchtenbruck (Heer), 6.44 - 9.44
- Maj Dieter Rohlack, 1.10.44 - 31.12.44
- Obstlt Aberger(?), 1945
Formed 6.44 in Amiens (AOK.15), with the following units:
- Fallschirm-Jäger-Regiment 16
- Fallschirm-Jäger-Regiment 17
- Fallschirm-Jäger-Regiment 18
- Fallschirm-Panzer-Jäger-Abteilung 6
- Fallschirm-Granatwerfer-Abteilung 6
- Fallschirm-Artillerie-Regiment 6
- Fallschirm-Flak-Abteilung 6
- Fallschirm-Pionier-Bataillon 6
- Fallschirm-Luftnachrichten-Abteilung 6
- Fallschirm-Sanitäts-Abteilung 6
- Nachschubführer der 6. Fallschirm-Jäger-Division
- Fallschirm-Feldersatz-Bataillon 6, from 11.44
While the division was forming, FJR.16 was flown to Stendal and later to Vilna for action in Lithuania, and would be renamed Fallschirm-Grenadier-Regiment 3, belonging to Fallschirm-Panzer-Korps Hermann Göring. The remainder of the division (battlegroup strength only) went into action immediately in Normandy, and was mostly destroyed. The remaining small groups was to have been incorporated into the new parachute ad-hoc unit, Division Erdmann, but could not be pulled out of the frontline in time.
The division was ordered reformed on 15.10.44 in Meppel, Holland. The division was formed from the few remaining remnants of the old division, and from Luftwaffe-Festungs-Battailone II, XXIX, XXXI, XXXVIII, XXIX and XXXX.
The division surrendered to the British in May 1945, at Zutphen in Festung Holland.
The division served under the following headquarters during the war:
|7.44||AOK.15||forming in Amiens|
|8.44||I. SS AK / Pz.AOK.5||Northern France|
|9.44||LXXXVIII.AK / Fs.AOK.1||Arnhem, Kleve, Kalkar, Marienbaum and Xanten|
|10.44 - 11.44||Heeresgruppe B||forming in Meppel|
|12.44||LXXXVIII.AK / AOK.15||Arnhem|
|1.45||LXXXVIII.AK / AOK.25||Arnhem, Wesel|
|2.45 - 3.45||XXXXVII.AK / Fs.AOK.1||Kleve, Wesel|
|4.45||LXXXVIII.AK / AOK.25||Festung Holland (Zutphen)|
Replacement troops were provided by the Fallschirm-Ersatz-Bataillon 3 in Nürnberg-Buchenbühl.
© 1997-2003 Michael Holm